History of St. Giles

St. Giles Presbyterian Church was organized on Palm Sunday, April 10, 1959 as a member of the PCUSA, and was named for St. Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Since its inception, St. Giles has had six pastors. During the 1970’s the church experienced a move of God, starting with the youth and overflowing into the congregation and affecting the city of Charlotte. The manifest presence of the Holy Spirit has been welcomed and has been an important part of St. Giles’ DNA ever since.  We continue to see God’s Spirit poured out in our worship, lives, and ministries.

We have become a body of believers rich in service.  The same Holy Spirit whom we welcome has birthed much in the way of ministry over the years.  Citywide ministries such as Love INC, Loaves and Fishes Food Pantry, Brookstone School, and the Charlotte Leadership Forum have been formed, in part, out of St. Giles and her people.  Aletheia Ministries extends inner healing and deliverance beyond our church and into the community as a whole. We regularly send and support missionaries who have been effective all over the world.  In 1989, desiring a more intentionally Biblical denomination, St. Giles left the PCUSA and was received into the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. For more information about our denomination, go to www.epc.org.

HistoryOfSTG